1. 1 Describe how to establish respectful, professional relationships with children and young people. Listening is a very important way in which to establish a respectful and professional relationship with a child. By listening, without interruption, to what the child has to say shows them that you are interested in their views and opions and encourages them to interact with you. It is very important when talking or listening to a child that you maintain eye contact, concentrate on what they are saying and physically lower yourself to their level.
This shows the child respect and that you consider them as an equal. Finding out about some of their interests and hobbies will also show them that you are really interested. You should make an effort to learn all children’s manes, how to spell them and how to pronounce them. Professionally this is also important; being able to put a face to a name will ensure the child’s safety. Children have a great respect for fairness; ‘it’s not fair’ is a common phrase in the classroom.
We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!
A way of showing fairness is allowing a child to explain their version of events; again this shows that you are willing to listen. However it is important to be consistent in situations, if two children break the same rule it would be unfair to punish one and not the other, this would result in lack of respect from the children. It would also be unfair if you were to show favouritism, like letting your ‘favourites’ get away with things that you would punish other children for.
Being polite not only shows respect but as an adult being polite is a good role model for the children. Children always have stories to tell and being interested and polite shows them that you have listened to them. Children mimic the behaviour of adults, if you are polite, honest, fair and respectful to children there is more chance that they will be act the same towards you.
Related essay samples:
- Communication and Professional Relationships with Children Young People
- Explain the Principles of Relationship Building with Children, Young People and Adults.
- Why Effective Communication Is Important in Developing Positive Relationships with Children?
- Developing a positive relationship with children
- Atticus Parenting Success Introduction
- Guiding Children’s Behavior
- The Ways to Establish Ground Rules Which Will Underpin Respectful Behaviour for Others
- Explain the Ways in Which You Would Establish Ground Rules
- Parents: The Ultimate Role Model
- Eymp 4 – 4.3
- “Parents are the ultimate role models for children
- Explain How Different Types of Background Affect Relationships
- Professional Values
- In am in placement, I ensure I
- In Mrs Tilschers Class Essay