Michelangelo completed the Sistine Chapel on a curved ceiling by standing on a unique scaffolding system which was a wooden platform high up on the walls of the chapel. It was strong enough to hold workers and materials. He would’ve had to bend backwards and maybe sometimes lay on the platform in awkward positions, painting over his head. The structure of the composition is that Michelangelo has used fine details in his use of images for ‘Creation of Adam’, ‘The Last Judgement’ and all the angels and cherubs.
He has made heaven up in the ceiling and before reaching hell there is The Last Judgement wherein the final and eternal judgment by God of all humanity is made with the souls of humans rise and descend to their fates, as judged by Christ surrounded by his saints. Michelangelo’s specialty was painting the human body unclothed what with his vivid imagination and sketches of Biblical stories. To be able to paint on the ceiling in the 1500s would be much harder to do as there was less techniques back in the day.
We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!
Michelangelo was a part of a very famous movement called the ‘Renaissance’, meaning the rebirth of classical arts, architecture and literature. It originated in Italy and moved all the way to Europe from the 14th century to the 17th century. It is a well known art period as it was the regeneration and a reborn when the Dark Ages were occurring. Some of these sculptures were: “Madonna of the Stairs”, “Madonna and Child”, “Pieta”, “David” and “Moses”.
Michelangelo wasn’t just a painter. He excelled as a sculptor, architect, poet and engineer. He would sketch inventions but would write his notes backwards so that instantly people who take a glimpse of his work would not be able to understand and conceive him as a ‘witch’ due to his odd and unique works. He was also fascinated of the human body and he would sometimes take dead corpses and dissect them to take a closer look as to what the body consists of.
Related essay samples:
- Victoria and da Vinci made innovative advancements
- Gothic V Romanesque Architecture Essay
- Study On Humanism And The Renaissance Period
- Leonardo daVinci: Renaissance
- The renaissance art world and its classical origin Essay
- Research Paper on Painting
- logodark and the architect Brucellosis. They applied
- Romanticism, Goya, and Saturn Devouring His Children
- Italian Renaissance Essay Research Paper Throughout history
- Ice Storm
- Comparing Medieval Art to Renaissance Art Essay
- The Life and Uniqe Artistic Style of Australian Artist Lin Onus
- Renaissance religious art, whether it was statues,
- Degas Double Images And Distortion Essay Research
- Art of the United States